Saturday, February 8, 2014

Cabin Life

So far living in the little cabin has not really been a hardship. This week was one of the coldest yet. On Wednesday morning, the temperature in Elk Park which is about 60 miles south of here, was minus 50! That is actual, not wind-chill. It was 24 below here. I usually have to put wood in the stove 2-3 times at night to keep it comfortable. The roof is insulated with 4 inches of rigid foam. The snow on it doesn't melt even when it is 80 inside.

The dogs get to stay in the cabin during the day when it is 15 degree or colder outside. When I get home in the evening, the cabin has cooled down to around 50 and it takes about 45 minutes to get it warmed up again.

Terry was lucky, when she came for a visit a few weeks ago the weather was very warm and sunny. I can't seem to find the pictures from her visit. Maybe she has them and will do a blog later.


I have the generator in a little enclosure I threw together one day. I should build a nicer one some time. I am using the generator less and less since the days are getting longer. I also moved the solar panels further up the hill to get more sun.


Cooking on the woodstove has been fun. Pancakes are easy. At first, I was mixing the batter in a bowl but realized it takes a lot of water and time to clean up afterward. Now, I just mix in a ziplock bag and when it is time to put the batter on the cast iron skillet, I cut a hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze out a blob.


Thanks to Ann for the cast iron pot!


 Here are the pictures from my trip to Montana.