Saturday evening, we hiked around and tried calling in some elk but they were pretty quiet. We did see a big black bear. On our way back to camp at dark, we saw a herd of elk in a meadow and there was one big bull with them. It was too late in the day to try to go after those.
The next morning we heard two different bulls bugling so we set up and tried to call them in to us. They didn't want to come down so Terry stayed in one place and called every few minutes. When she would call, the bulls would answer. I moved closer and closer until I was within about 75 yards of him. He walked a short distance then started rubbing his antlers on a tree. I was able to sneak up to 40 yards for the shot. Afterward, he ran about 50 yards and then tipped over.
We got the bull at 10:00 AM and it took until 6:15 PM to get him to the trailhead. It was a long hot hike out leading the horses.





